Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Match Spokesperson, of the unpaid variety

I talk about Match.
A lot.

I am not ashamed to be on it like a lot of people are. 

I think it is a great thing and when I hear chicks or guys complain about being single or the dating scene my first response is that they should join Match.com. Seriously. I should get a cut of their profit from all the referrals I have given them.

Now, I recommend this avenue not because I think someone will find their soul mate on here. (Although my cousin got married a few weeks ago to a guy she met on there. Guaranteed everyone knows someone that has been married after meeting on one internet dating site or another. That's just plain statistics though.)

Do I think I will meet the love of my life in Match? Hell no.

Then why am I on it, and why do I suggest it with such enthusiasm?

Several reason...

1) I think its a huge confidence booster. Certainly there are creeps on there, this blog wouldn't exist without them. But in general there are some pretty cool guys/girls out there that are genuine in trying to find someone they click with- be that friendship or love. It's pretty cool getting hit on everyday, sometimes 10 times a day. Who wouldn't enjoy that?

2) It gets you over that "hump". I have a few friends who are freshly out of relationship and just need that extra little nudge to be able to move on. This is a relatively easy way to do that. Go out on a few dates, realize people are still attracted to you, and get the hell over it.

3) It opens you up to other opportunities. Sometimes you just get in a rut, I certainly was. Match gets you out of the funk and back into the dating world. Which can just be plain intimidating. It was for me; I am shy as hell. But going on all these dates (ha, I've been on 5 or so, not that many) has made me realize I can pretty much talk to a wall if need be. I always thought I was a terrible first impression but now I think I don't totally suck that bad. Every one of the guys asked me out again, so I suppose that means I wasn't a complete head case. Maybe. Regardless, in the time I have been on Match I have also met a few other really cool people outside of the site that I probably would not have been open to meeting had I not been in the "dating zone."

4) It is just plain entertaining. Case in point- this blog. You just can't take it too seriously. If you look at it like part of your dating life, not all of it, then you will sail through and have a great time. Meet a few cool people and after meeting one of them for drinks- meet up with some of your other friends since you are already out and about and maybe just maybe meet the mate of your dreams. Who knows, but at the very least give it a shot, what do you have to lose? And everyone could use a good laugh or two, Match.com does not disappoint on that!

The question I get asked a lot is am I serious about finding true love? Absolutely.
Do I think you can actually FIND true love? Eh, not really. 
I do think you have to be in the right place in your life and with the right frame of mind in order to even be open to it, and to realize if you have it standing right in front of you.
I know I am there without a doubt.
I know I will be a wonderful wife, mother, sister-in-law, and member of a new family when the time comes... I say those last two because I think it is so important to be able to find someone you love, and love their family as well be loved by their family.
I am in no rush though, just enjoying the ride in the meantime! 

Ok, enough serious stuff... I'll try to hunt down a good story for you all in the near future, stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Man this is funny, not just this post but everything I've read so far! I should send you some of my match.com stories to share. I actually just had to stand up a guy who flew from Texas to N. Carolina to meet me because he turned into such a creep. How's this for a dumbass move; the night he booked the ticket was also the night he decided to drunk dial me at 3am on a Wednesday night...I told him that had he have done that 2 weeks ago, it would have saved him $500.

    Good luck in your search :) I've found somebody that I like a lot...so far...just hope he doesn't come out as a closet alcoholic as well :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elizabeth that is awesome. Send us the rest of the story and we will post you as a guest blogger! twinmatch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, I was on the fence of getting a match account but now you can add me to the list of people match.com should compensate you for getting them to join their site. I like the first two reasons especially.

    ReplyDelete